Safeguarding and Child Protection
The latest Government guidance on Safeguarding can be found here.
All staff and governors, including temporary staff and volunteers are subject to stringent background checks including clearance with the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) to ensure their suitability for working with children.
In addition all volunteers complete an annual self declaration regarding attendance at safeguarding training and knowledge and understanding of our safeguarding procedures in school.
Whilst the prime focus of Swanington CE Primary School is to ensure enjoyable, high quality education provision for every child, the school believes that the safety, welfare and care of children is paramount. We are therefore committed to the highest standards in protecting and safeguarding the children entrusted into our care at all times. Our Safeguarding and Child Protection Policy is available in the Policies Section.
We ensure that arrangements are in place for:
• all reasonable measures to be taken to minimise the risks of harm to children’s welfare
• all appropriate actions to be taken to address concerns about the welfare of a child, or children, working to agreed local policies and procedures in full partnership with other local agencies
• all persons working at this school to be made aware of this policy
We recognise that some children may be the victims of neglect, physical, sexual or emotional abuse. Staff of the school will often, by virtue of their day to day contact and knowledge of the children, be well placed to identify such abuse and offer support to children in need.
In order to protect our children, we aim to:
• Create an atmosphere where all our children can feel secure, valued and listened to
• Recognise signs and symptoms of abuse
• Respond quickly and effectively to cases of suspected abuse
• Monitor and support children at risk
• Use the curriculum to raise children’s awareness, build confidence and skills
• Work closely with parent/carers and support external agencies
• Ensure that all adults within our school/service who have access to children have been checked as to their suitability
Swannington CE Primary School will support all children by:
• Encouraging self-esteem and appropriate self-assertiveness whilst not condoning aggression or bullying
• Promoting a caring, safe and positive environment within the school.
• Liaising and working together with all other support services and those agencies involved in the safeguarding of children
• Notifying Social Care Services via the approved mechanisms as soon as there is a significant concern.
• Providing continuing support to a child about whom there have been concerns who leaves the school by ensuring that appropriate information is forwarded under confidential cover to the child’s new school.